Stuck on a project or a piece of homework? Need to do some research? Here are some useful websites to help with your homework.
· BBC Schools Online - a fun site to use for your homework with lots of quizzes and activities.
· Education Planet - has links to lots of websites for almost every subject imaginable.
· Thinking Things - explore this site which includes information on different countries, history topics and more.
· Homework High - a great site from Channel Four - lots of links to useful websites
· GridClub - activities, puzzles and games. You have to register to join the clubs and discussion areas, but can go in and play games straight away!
· Top Marks - links to useful websites that can help with all kinds of homework - even spellings!
· London Grid for Learning - has fun online lessons and activities that will help you with all your homework.
· BBC Revision - includes games, activities, fun facts and revision quizzes. You can also make your own revision planner.
· Revision World - launched in 2007 with the aim of providing a fun and free revision resource for GCSE (Key Stage4) and AS & A2 Level (Key Stage 5). Whilst not aligning itself with a particular exam board or syllabus RevisionWorld.com aims to cover the key aspects of each subject.
· Learn.co.uk - a general revision site for KS 2-KS5.
· S-cool.co.uk - includes online GCSE revision guides for a wide range of subjects, including; Biology, Chemistry, English, French, Geography, German, Maths, PE and Physics.
· Gcseguide.co.uk - provides a Maths GCSE Guide and English GCSE Guide.
· Knowitall - provides advice on revision and exam techniques and many links to revision sites for all subject areas.
· Radio 1 - One Life - Revision Sites - a good choice of GCSE and A level revision sites
· ActiveRevision.com - for GCSE students and teachers looking for an interactive way to revise.
Some Great Sites for Specific Subjects
· Natural History Museum Kids Only - naturecams, quizzes and games, plus details of the best things to see at the museum.
· RSPCA "Playpen" - information about the work of the RSPCA, plus games, cyberpets and more!
· Planet Arkive - lots of animal information and pictures, especially on endangered species.
Artchive - view paintings by hundreds of artists through the Artchive, wander around selected galleries in the world or find out about the artists and their lives.
The National Gallery - information about the pictures held in the National Gallery and the artists who painted them.
Mr Picasso Head – make your own online portrait “in the style of Picasso”.
· Natural History Museum Dino Directory - information on over 160 dinosaurs!
· Biography.com - information on over 20,000 famous people, dead and alive, from popstars to famous explorers.
· Geo-Globe - explore a selection of interactive games and find out interesting facts: including the highest waterfall and how to find out how deep the ocean is!
· Ancient Egypt - a great site for anyone interested in Ancient Egypt. Packed with information and pictures of pyramids, tombs, mummies, gods and goddesses.
·TravellingBack In Time To Ancient Rome - find out more about ancient Rome.
· Britannia.com - a gateway to British History: castles, houses, famous people and some useful timelines. Excellent for homework.
· Britain since 1930: London at War - find out more about the Blitz from the people who lived through it! This site also includes information on how London prepared for the War.
· Children of World War Two - find out what life was like for children in the Second World War by completing challenges, including trying to shop for food.
· Guardian Century - a useful site to help you find out more about the main events of the 20th century. It includes big events like the first moon landing, the sinking of the Titanic and the Battle of Britain.
· Oswestry-History Website – a website dedicated to the history and archaeology of Oswestry and its Welsh borderland neighbourhood.
· The Tudors - this site has useful information on Henry VIII and his six wives and a guide to who's who in Tudor history.
· National Geographic Map Machine - a wide array of maps including atlases, flags and facts, maps of the night skies and satellite images - aimed at secondary level.
NRICH - mathematics enrichment resources (puzzles, problems, investigations, games) for ages 5 to 19.
Plus - online magazine aimed at ages 15+ including feature articles on mathematics and its applications to science, art and society, interviews, reviews and news.
Modern Foreign Languages
· www.languageskills.co.uk - interactive activities for language teachers and learners of French, German, Spanish and Welsh. In order to use this site (for French and German) between the hours of 9am and 4pm on weekdays, you will need to use the school’s username and password which can be obtained from Mrs Chidlow. For the rest of the time (and for Spanish and Welsh), access to the site is free!
Die Welt - the online version of the popular German national newspaper - KS4 Ages 14 – 16
www.finanznachrichten.de - one of the biggest German financial websites focusing on the economy and stock and shares.
French Grammar Central - contains grammar guidance, with thousands of verb conjugations, research and hundreds of activities.
UK-German Connection - a platform for young people from the UK and Germany for contacts, culture and language
Klar! – German site designed by Heidi Behrens, a secondary school teacher in Twickenham, which has proved to be very successful with her students, especially KS4. The website offers revision on a variety of topics and has a large section on GCSE roleplay.
· Kids Health - Find out how your body works! Do a body tour and have a really close look.
· NASA Kids - a fun site where you can find out about the space programme, with lots of activities to join in.
· Build a Volcano - site from the Natural History Museum with loads of information.
· Volcano World - lots of information on volcanoes, including details of current eruptions and ideas on how you can build a model volcano.
Oswestry School is not responsible for the content of external websites